Table of Contents
4 ways to back up Microsoft 365 [Full guide]
As we thrive in this digital era, data security is quite crucial, especially when it involves cloud-based platforms like Microsoft 365. With the trend of organizations employing Microsoft 365 for communication, storage and collaboration purposes, there is an increased requirement to have a proper backup strategy in place.
Although Microsoft365 has data retention capabilities, it is important to note that this feature does not serve as a traditional backup. No matter whether protecting against unintentional deletion or cyber-attacks, ensuring compliance with legal and regulatory obligations, a backup of your Microsoft 365 information is something you simply cannot take lightly. So, we present the best ways to easily backup Microsoft 365 data.
What are the ways to back up Microsoft 365?
Here are four effective strategies to backup and secure Microsoft 365 data to counter any data loss scenario.
Use Native Microsoft Data Retention
Microsoft 365 has basic data retention functionality across its services including Exchange Online SharePoint online, OneDrive etc. Nevertheless, such native alternatives usually leave much to be desired in terms of customizability and may not fit certain business recovery SLA requirements. For example, deleted mailboxes are only retained for 30 days by default creating difficulty when there is a need to have longer retention in place.
- A short retention period for deleted items.
- Potential non-compliance with industry-specific data retention policies.
- Restricted flexibility in retention settings.
- Not enough for full disaster recovery plans.
- Need for further backup solutions to cover all aspects of data protection.
Back Up Microsoft 365 to On-Premises
It is a common practice for many organizations to diversify their data storage by backing up Microsoft 365 on-premises. This method is helpful but needs a modern backup solution that avoids complications, such as cloud gateways or proxy servers.
- Full data redundancy and safety.
- Decreases dependence on a single cloud environment.
- Requires modern backup solutions without added complexity.
- Provides improved data security and access management.
- Reliable in case of cloud outages or disruptions.
Back Up Microsoft 365 to Another Cloud or Region
When followed by a cloud-first approach, backing up Microsoft 365 data to another cloud provider or region is one of such viable options. This approach leads to physical data separation but can result in operational complications.
- Provides geographical redundancy and risk mitigation.
- Aligns with a cloud-first organizational strategy.
- Each cloud provider has specific backup tools and processes.
- Increases operational complexity in operating hybrid cloud environments.
- Guarantees data access even if one cloud provider faces issues.
Use Backup as a Service to Protect Microsoft 365
Backup as a Service (BaaS) is becoming more popular in the field of protecting Microsoft 365 data. It merges simple usability with powerful functionality such as custom retention policies, automatic backups and granular restore options.
- Simplifies the backup process via a service-based approach.
- Delivers on-demand access similar to Microsoft 365.
- Provides data separation and minimizes vendor lock-in.
- Requires a service with full enterprise features.
- Secures data through a separate cloud service.
Let us take a look at these Office 365 backup strategies with their description in a concise manner.
|1. Native Microsoft Data Retention
|Short retention period
|Limited flexibility in settings
|2. Back Up to On-Premises
|Full data redundancy
|Decreased dependence on a single cloud
|3. Back Up to Another Cloud/Region
|Increased operational complexity
|4. Backup as a Service (BaaS)
|Data separation, minimizes vendor lock-in
Data backup is necessary in all organizations that use Microsoft 365 data to prevent data loss and meet compliance standards. All the above data backup strategies discussed have their own individual strengths that can be adapted to fit different organizational requirements. To have a complete and user-friendly backup solution, opt for the Kernel Office 365 Backup & Restore tool. This tool offers secure backups, different output formats for your Office 365 data and guarantees efficient protection. Learn more about this powerful tool with the trial version today.